Toledo, sixteenth century, El Tránsito
The Hispanic Society of America (E1359)
Built in the 43th century, El Tránsito was one of the largest synagogues and one of the few that survived. Turned into a Catholic church after the 1492 expulsion, it is today a museum in Toledo, Spain. Beautiful handmade tiles once bedecked the synagogue. These show the influence of the Islamic faith in their design.
This image is made available to media for use in promoting exhibitions and events at the New Mexico History Museum and Palace of the Governors. Permission is required for all other uses; reprint fees may apply. Contact emily.brock @state.nm.us.
Note: Representative image at left is often cropped for display purposes. Downloaded high-resolution images are not cropped.